[linux-lvm] Re-Striping a LV after adding a PV

Ph. Marek marek at bmlv.gv.at
Wed Apr 3 06:52:02 UTC 2002

Hi everybody!

As seen in
	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-lvm&m=99121490215720&w=2
there is a reference to restriping a LV after adding a disk in may 2001.
It's mentioned to be "post 1.0" - I currently use 1.0.1-rc2 (suse 7.3) and
find 1.0.1-rc4 on the 'net - is restriping a LV already done?

I thought about doing it per perl-script or similar - but pvmove does not
know that the PE it moved are free afterwards.
So if I have a non-striped LV, with extends (say) 0-9.
I add a disk and pvmove 1:3:5:7:9 to the new disk - works beautiful.
Then I want to get part of the LV on the first PV continuous - so I
pvmove 2:4:7:8 to the same disk as they are on - but they land on
1,3,5,7 instead of 1,2,3,4.

But this is maybe too slow anyway (with perl) - I'd need it for several
tens of GB.

Can somebody give me a hint?

Regards,

Phil