[linux-lvm] running lvm tool from user application script

Denie Andriessen D.Andriessen at pink.nl
Fri Apr 5 03:22:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

Well, I don't really think that's an issue having to do anything with LVM.
It's something to do with 'security'.  On most systems 'plain' users hVe
quite modest rights in the etc directory, and for quite good reasons. You
get that because the mode of /etc/lvmtab doesn't allow you to write to it,
as forinstance vgscan would like to do..

letting a user run those programs sounds like a pretty bad idea, but if you
still want to go ahead, there's at least 2 ways around it, 1) allow the
webuser to sudo that command (see sodu/sudoers), or just get a cron job on
root, that runs those commands, and dumps the output in a place where your
CGI thingy can read it..

Denie