[linux-lvm] kernel: invalidate: busy buffer

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Apr 16 10:50:02 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:13:47PM -0300, Rene @ Webscorpion.com wrote:

> I notice in my /var/log/messages that I get MILLIONS (really) of errors:
> kernel: invalidate: busy buffer

Apparently later kernel versions in 2.4.x output that message when
invalidate_buffers() is called too many times. I would get a few of
them on startup (2.4.16).

> What am I doing wrong? Is this error related to the missing kernel
> patching?

No, just the tools are calling this function too often as far as the
kernel is concerned. I'm not sure if it causes any specific harm though.

> How can I patch a standard kernel for both -ac and LVM ? As I understand
> it they both require a "clean" kernel to apply good?

Grab the clean kernel; apply LVM patches; apply redhat patches. Stephen
Tweddie was on here pointing out a patch that Redhat have done to the
kernel does buffer locking if you do pvmove -- so not all of the Redhat
patches may apply cleanly.

> Sorry for the perhaps stupid quiestions, but I am not a kernel guru - I
> only know just enough to get myself into trouble :-)  I *did* read the FAQ
> and I *did* search google (usenet) - didnt' find the answers tho...

I searched google for 'busy buffer linux' and the first hit is on the
linux-lvm list from 2001

Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never