[linux-lvm] can't mount ext3 snapshot (cont'd)

Antoine antoine at rezo.net
Thu Aug 8 08:53:01 UTC 2002

Hi,

Having problems with mounting a snapshot, I applied the following advice :

"You need to apply the VFS lock patch included in the source distribution.

note: the VFS lock patch is 1.0.4 is rather broken so use the one from 1.0.5
- it'll be fine with a 1.0.4 kernel."

However, after applying the patch, recompiling the kernel, and then
rebooting, I still have the same problem :

# mount -v /dev/vgdata/backup /backup/
mount: you didn't specify a filesystem type for /dev/vgdata/backup
       I will try type ext3,ext2
mount: block device /dev/vgdata/backup is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vgdata/backup,
       or too many mounted file systems

Furthermore, there is another error message on the console :

EXT2-fs: lvm(58,1): couldn't mount because of unsupported optional
features (4).
Please note : the original LV the snapshot is taken on has the option
"noatime" set. Could the problems come from this one ?

(NB : kernel 2.4.18 SMP from kernel.org, LVM 1.0.5)

Regards

Antoine.