[linux-lvm] moving single LVM disk from one system to another

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Mon Aug 19 03:39:02 UTC 2002

Is that with our without devfs?
Have you checked, that device nodes are in your initrd for vgscan to be able
to access them fine?
Does vgscan fail finding your VG our is it just wrong entries in /etc/fstab
failing your root mount?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 03:09:02AM -0400, lvm at interlinx.bc.ca wrote:
> My workstation died (the MB, not the disk).  :-(
>
> In it I have a single ATA disk with three fdisk type partitions:
>
> hd?1 Linux boot
> hd?2 Windows ~hangs head in shame~ (it's for testing only :-)
> hd?3 LVM
>
> Inside the LVM partition is the root, swap and a couple of other
> filesystems.  On the ext3 /boot partition there is an initrd with all
> the magic in it to get LVM and ext3 up and running.
>
> On the dead machine, where the disk was built and last running, the
> disk was device /dev/hde on a Promise ATA100 bus.  I want to move it
> to another (working) machine on the primary ATA bus so it will be
> /dev/hda.
>
> When I boot the system, the initrd fires up and runs a vgscan but it
> does not find the rootvol volume group.  So I boot on my Linux
> distro's boot CD in rescue mode, install the LVM module, run vgscan
> (the vendor was nice enough to put the lvm tools on the boot/rescue
> cd) and it finds it fine.  I run "vgchange -a y" and whammo, the
> volume group is active and I can mount my rootfs.  Great.  So I chroot
> the HD (LVM) rootfs and mount /boot and run vgscan again so that it
> updates the /etc/lvm* stuff and also build a new initrd, hoping that
> the new configuration information will make it into the initrd.
>
> I reboot again and still vgscan finds no volume groups.  What am I
> missing here?  Why can the rescue mode of the boot CD find the volume
> group no problem with a vgscan and my initrd's vgscan cannot?
>
> Thanx in advance for any enlightment.
>
> b.
>
> --
> Brian J. Murrell

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446