Re: [linux-lvm] raid 1 destroyed!

One place you may have gone wrong is hotadding /dev/sdb. You would want to add a partition such as /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sdb

Thanks
-steve

Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

i was testing out software raid on linux 7.3 with sistina LVM installed. i
had a raid 1 mirror with two drives, and one of the drives failed (i
pulled the power on it), then i pluged it back in, rebooted, ran fdisk -l
to make sure linux could see the drive (it did), then tried running fdisk
again to create the partitions on the drive, then rebooted, then ran
'raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdb', rebooted, then my entire system was gone,
both drives had corrupted filesystem.

my question is this: since there is no man pages for raidhotadd (stupid),
how the heck do i read about how this software raid works so i dont blow
away a "real" system!

also, if i add my system drives to the LVM, can it still be in a raid 1?

thanks in adavance,

alex
  Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
  alazarev itg uiuc edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu