[linux-lvm] bad vgexport/import

Tod Detre tod at po.cwru.edu
Mon Dec 2 10:47:02 UTC 2002

I've been having troubles with one of my systems so I did a vgexport on
one of my volume groups in case I found part of the system to be
unrecoverable. When I got the system back online I tried to do a
vgimport, but it complained about the first disk not being in the same
group as the other disks. I looked at the pvscan output found that the
first disk did not appear to have been exported with the rest of the
disks. This could have been from the troubles I was originally having.

Well, I did some google searches and found someone with a similar
problem and he used lde (linux disk editor) to change the volume group
name to match the other disks, well, I tried changing the unexported
disk to be "exported" and it seems to have somewhat worked, but not
completely. I now get this error:

vgimport mirror /dev/hdc1 /dev/hde1 /dev/hdg1 /dev/hdi1 /dev/hdk1
vgimport -- ERROR: only 5 physical volumes of 4 given for volume group
"mirror"

any ideas on how to fix this?

--
Tod Detre