[linux-lvm] Backup costs (was: LVM reimplementationre)

Jesus Manuel NAVARRO LOPEZ jesus_navarro at promofinarsa.es
Thu Feb 7 03:01:02 UTC 2002

Hi, Anders:

Anders Widman wrote:

> Well, have you ever heard of diskcabbinettes? I use them alot wich means I don't have to have 10 disks in the same coputer at the same time. Then what, hot swap? Well this is very much possible, and secure
> (look at Promise.com).
>
> IDE disk drives are very cheap and fast enough (Maxtor 160GB has a write performance of about 35MB/s in average) for most purposes and does not require special hardware or software.

Well... let's consider all aspects.  I'm a sysadmin the kind of BOFH, so
late in the evening I usually find myself a bit overloaded on beer.
Specially on friday, if I have to stay at work past 5PM I have the
irresistible temptation to go to the closet and piss*1 on the diskcabbinet.

Guess what?  when I do so *all* our backup media (your IDE disks) goes
nuts at a time.

For a backup policy you *must* take appart the media from the on-line
data to be protected.  Having all your backup media in a single place is
*BAAAAAAAD* idea (TM).

Now, start moving from the cabinet to the in-place closet your disks one
day and another, and to the off-site closet at least once a month, and
tell me you won't need to replace your disks on a shorter basis than
your DTLs or DDSs.

*1: Standard dramatization in place.  I *don't* do that (specilly true
if my boss is reading this article X^D  )
--
SALUD,
Jesús
jesus_navarro at promofinarsa.es