[Evms-devel] Re: [linux-lvm] Re: [lvm-devel] [ANNOUNCE] LVM reimplementation ready for beta testing

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 03:55:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 12:52:11PM +0000, Joe Thornber wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:52:29PM -0600, Steve Pratt wrote:
> > Joe Thornber wrote:
> >
> > >EVMS differs from us in that they seem to be trying to move the whole
> > >application into the kernel,
> >
> > No, not really.  We only put in the kernel the things that make sense to be
> > in the kernel, discovery logic, ioctl support, I/O path.  All configuration
> > is handled in user space.
>
> There's still a *lot* of code in there; > 26,000 lines in fact.
> Whereas device-mapper weighs in at ~2,600 lines.  This is just because
> you've decided to take a different route from us, you may be proven to
> be correct.

There is one thing that might spoil the device-mapper "just simple stuff
only" thing: moving active volumes around. Doing that in userspace reliably
is impossible and basically needs to be done in kernelspace (it's an
operation comparable with raid1 resync, a not even that hard in kernel
space). However, that sort of automatically requires kernelspace to know
about volumes, and from there it's a small step....

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven