[linux-lvm] Backup costs (was: LVM reimplementationre)

Scott Laird laird at internap.com
Thu Feb 7 10:24:02 UTC 2002

I just bought 10TB for $4.5/GB.  That's 5 4U systems, each with 16 160GB
drives and one GigE interface.  A couple similar systems in my lab (14
100GB drives) benchmark at 110 MB/sec reading, 85 MB/sec writing with
software RAID5.  With NFS over GigE, I can get 50 MB/sec sustained before
PCI bus contention starts to be a problem.

You can almost certainly spend less money if you try hard enough, but I
wanted systems that wouldn't need 24x7 handholding :-).

Scott