[linux-lvm] lvm and 'poor mans raid' on heterogenous hard dri ves!

Steve Wray steve.wray at paradise.net.nz
Wed Feb 20 00:37:02 UTC 2002

> From: linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com]On
>
> striping or concatination?
>
> striping means yes same size spaces, but you can just concatinate which
> simply means adding together. So 12+5+4= 21, you could then mirror against
> the 20 gig in software and only loose 1 gig. Whether the controller is
> bright enough to tell the difference is another matter.

Oh yes I see what you mean now, I meant striping,
it was implied.

Could I concatenate the 12+5+4 into one volume and then stripe that
with the 20? Or would that just be suicidal?
oooh or the 5+4 striped, then stripe that with the 12 then the result
with the 20? Resulting in... mental arithmetic... 36G in total.
:)
Its not a production machine by the way. Mostly its my TV.