[linux-lvm] Re: lvm 1.0.3, kernel 2.4.17 and the libs...

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Wed Feb 27 11:28:02 UTC 2002

le mar 26-02-2002 à 17:56, Andreas Dilger a écrit :
> On Feb 26, 2002  17:28 -0500, Daniel Savard wrote:
> > I did mkfs.ext2 on /dev/sda8 !!! However, this was still pointing to my
> > LVM partition even if fdisk was not showing this.
> >
> > The big question: Is it still possible to recover some data from the LVM
> > partition which was the only partition in my VG?
>
> Well, mke2fs writes a LOT of data into the partition, being especially
> careful to overwrite everything at the start of the disk.  It might be
> possible to recover this with "vgcfgrestore", but even then you have the
> problem of overwriting the rest of the data on the disk.  If the primary
> ext2 superblock is overwritten on an LV inside this disk, you can use
> "e2fsck -b 32768" or so to try and recover.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2resize/
> http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/

Since my LVM partition has been moved by the operations on the
partitions with fdisk. I had to use the vgcfgrestore command as follow
and getting the following error:

[root at einstein sbin]# vgcfgrestore -n datavg -o /dev/sda9 /dev/sda7
vgcfgrestore -- INFO: using backup file "/etc/lvmconf/datavg.conf"
vgcfgrestore -- ERROR "pv_read(): PV identifier invalid" reading physical volume "/dev/sda7"

Is there still something I can try or should I forget it?

--

Daniel Savard

Internet: dsavard at cids.ca