[linux-lvm] kernel: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Fri Jan 11 04:38:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:30:17AM +0100, J?rgen Vollmer wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I use kernel-source-2.4.16.SuSE-24.i386.rpm together with reiserfs and
> made a snapshot which I then tar'ed.
> Writing the tape seems to be ok. After that I did:
>
> 	tar --directory=/ --file=/dev/tape --compare
>
> and got the message (while working i.e. modifying the  original filesystem)
>
> Message from syslogd at joergli at Fri Jan 11 10:57:19 2002 ...
> joergli kernel: zam-7001: io error in reiserfs_find_entry
>

> So it seems that the snapshot is full. Is that correct, or do I have a serious
> problem? Note: I'm doing my backups, so a dead backup is not a very good
> one :-)

Yes, your snapshot is full. When this happens LVM fails all I/O to the snapshot.
Unfortunatetly reiserfs doesn't not currently cope very well with I/O errors on
a device hence the message you saw.

You will need to allocate more space to the snapshot LV to get around this.

It's not a serious problem but if you are bothered by the oops I posted a
patch to workaround to the problem here:

http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2001-November/009913.html

It's not great and it doesn't stop the full snapshot being unusable, but it does
stop the oopses.

patrick