[linux-lvm] Automatically GROW an LV to max size

Markus Dobel mdobel at kawo2.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Jan 23 20:15:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 05:23:46PM -0800, Tracy R Reed wrote:

> We have a redhat based kickstart install that sets up a basic / and then
> creates an LV out of the rest of the disk. Currently we have hard coded
> the size of the remaining disk but it would be really slick if we could
> just pass an option to lvcreate which would just create an lv with the
> most space possible.

[...]
> There's got to be a cleaner way to do it.

Maybe not cleaner, but more flexible (and as it's only used for an
installer, where the output of vgdisplay is kind of defined, maybe
usable):

--- snip ---

#!/bin/bash

VG="vg0"  # Name of the volume group
LV="data" # Name of the logical vol.

FREE_PEs=$(vgdisplay $VG|grep "^Free  PE"|sed "s/^[a-zA-Z /]\+\([0-9]\+\).*/\\1/")
lvcreate -l $FREE_PEs -n $LV $VG

--- snip ---

You may want to doublecheck the regex before using this. And yes, a
switch in lvmcreate would be nicer, too. Just in case, you need a
solution *now*.

Regards, Markus

--
Free the Fluffy Bunny.