[linux-lvm] LVM2 modifies the buffer_head struct?

Jens Axboe axboe at suse.de
Wed Jul 3 07:10:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 03 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 12:08:38PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 02 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:
> > > Tom,

> > > This is a horrible hack to get around the fact that ext3 uses the
> > > b_private field for its own purposes after the buffer_head has been
> > > handed to the block layer (it doesn't just use b_private when in the
> > > b_end_io function).  Is this acceptable behaviour ?  Other filesystems
> > > do not have similar problems as far as I know.
> > >
> > > device-mapper uses the b_private field to 'hook' the buffer_heads so
> > > it can keep track of in flight ios (essential for implementing
> > > suspend/resume correctly).  See dm.c:dec_pending()
> >
> > Your driver is required to properly stack b_private uses, however if
> > ext3 (well jbd really) over writes b_private after bh i/o submission I
> > would say that it is broken.
>
> AFAIK ext3 doesn't overwrite b_private after submission, but does
> expect the value not to change (ie. no stacking to be taking place).

Now we are in a grey area. The 'usual' stacked drivers work like this:

some fs path
	submit_bh(bh_orig);

stacked driver make_request_fn:
	bh_new = alloc_bh
	bh_new->b_private = bh_orig;
	submit_bh(bh_new);

if you are just modifying b_private, how exactly is your stacking
working? ie what about lvm2 on lvm2?

--
Jens Axboe