[linux-lvm] Re: RE: ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of volume group "data_disks" from physical volume(s) (Heinz J . Mauelshagen)

Leigh Waldie lw at mih-assoc.com
Thu Jul 4 07:22:02 UTC 2002

Thanks for the reply...

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com]On
Behalf Of linux-lvm-request at sistina.com
Sent: 04 July 2002 10:49
>Message: 7
>Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:34:54 +0200
>From: "Heinz J . Mauelshagen" <mauelshagen at sistina.com>
>To: linux-lvm at sistina.com
>Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] RE: ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV"
can't get data of volume group "data_disks" from physical volume(s)

>On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:25:20PM +0100, Leigh Waldie wrote:
>> Further...
>>
>> Output from pvdata /dev/hde reveals that there is no vg info on the disk,
>> however there is vg info on the second disk /dev/hdb...

>Then the vgcfgrestore must have been unsuccessfull :(

indeed it was

>"vgchange -an" is not needed. It doesn't write to the PVs it just tries
>to deactivate the VGs in core.

>> Is there any way of recovering the vg info from hdb onto hde ?

>vgcfgrestore!

>Look with "vgcfgrestore -ll ..." if your backup fits your config,

the output from vgcfgrestore -ll -n data_disks -f
/etc/lvmconf/data_disks.conf looked good to me.
It listed the volume group , the logical volume and the two PVs and all the
sizes seem correct.
So i went ahead to the next step...

>run

>	pvcreate -ff /dev/hde

worked ok - said it was successful

>and

>	vgcfgrestore -n data_disks -f /etc/lvmconf/YourPreferedArchive /dev/hde

when i run
vgcfgrestore -n data_disks -f /etc/lvmconf/data_disks.conf /dev/hde

it reports that VG for data_disks successfully restored to /dev/hde
but it also says : you may not have an actual backup of restored volume
group "data_disks"

and when i try vgscan i get the same error as in the subject line
above...( pvdata /dev/hde still shows no volume group on the PV )

I have several other cfg backups which I have also tried, all of which give
me the same result.

I'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that something else is happening
here but I dont know what...
I suspect that the disk controller may be screwing up.

I got fed up with trying all the correct tools as they were obviously having
a problem with this disk so i used dd to back up the first 512k of the
/dev/hde disk and the used dd again to "copy" the first 512k of data from
disk /dev/hdb to /dev/hde just to test whether or not pvdata would then like
the disk ( I know I couldn't use the disk in this state, just trying it out
of interest ).

The results are very strange.

If I use "dd if=/dev/hde |xxd |more" I can see that the VG UUID is at hex
0x0001200 for 32 bytes, but if I use "xxd /dev/hde |more" I can see the VG
uuid at hex 0x0001000 for 32 bytes, which is where I presume it is meant to
be judging by the data on the other disks.

This is leading me to suspect a hardware problem, so I think I will try
moving the disk onto another controller and see how that goes..

>and

>	vgscan ; vgchange -ay

>That should do the trick.

>The open question is, what overwrote your LVM metadata (and hopefully just
>it) on /dev/hde in the first place.

>Regards,
>Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

---