[linux-lvm] Get rid of files of a non existing volume group

Kai Weber lists at glorybox.de
Fri Jul 5 15:53:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have lost a hard disk (died). I had a volume group on this disk. Now I
have replaced the disk with a new one and wanted to create the old scheme
on this disk:

$ vgcreate datavg /dev/hdb1
vgcreate -- directory /dev/datavg already exists

As you can see the old /dev/datavg still exists on my root-partition. How
do I get rid of the old files? There is no VG datavg anymore, but I want to
have the name back.

Can I 'rm -rf /dev/datavg' the files? Or should I do a vgextend?

vgscan does not find the VG datavg anymore.

Kai