Re: [linux-lvm] RAID extension and lvm

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 lembark wrkhors com wrote:

> > Sorry, but there is no pvresize command.
>
> You wouldn't want it anyway.
>
> There isn't any way to "resize" an fault-tolerant RAID
> system (1/3/5) and you can get more flexable,
This is not correct. You can extend most of the common hardware raid
systems with raid5. Most of it during operation without shutting down.

> reliable
> results with LVM than RAID0 anyway.
>
> The way to add space into a VG is by incorporating new
> PV's with vgextend. If you want to grow a fault-tolerant
> system then build new RAID5 groups and add them as new
> PV's.
But if I want to extend my system, I need at least three disks. If I
extend an existing raid5, I need only one disk.

best regards

Ralf Eisinger
IHS - University of Stuttgart, Germany
Pfaffenwaldring 10