[linux-lvm] RAID extension and lvm

Tim tim at connectlive.com
Sun Jul 14 12:47:02 UTC 2002

I was about to ask why on earth a good hardware array couldn't
re-allocate the parity slices on-the-fly and act as if another disk (in
addition to the new physical volume) was present during the
reconstruction...

It is obvious to me that a *filesystem* must be resized, and the
software md drivers can hardly be expected to figure out all of this on
the fly, but a *hardware* device ought to be able to treat resizing as
just another "degraded" failure mode and rebuild.

Is that in fact what happens?  I know we used to run the Sun Storedge
arrays primarily as JBODs since we simply crammed them full to bursting,
but somewhere out there, perhaps people are buying RAIDs that aren't
already close to capacity ;-).

I still like the slice-and-dice flexibility of LVM but it is certainly a
drag to have to install a *minimum* of 3 physical devices to get an
additional RAID5 physical volume in an LVM volume group!

Quoth Ralf Eisinger: