Re: [linux-lvm] One VG or many?

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 12:33:23PM -0700, Poul Petersen wrote:

> Let me ask a slightly different question - what is the advantage to
> creating a VG for every logical business/application unit? Or

When I setup a system I try to separate data that doesn't belong
together as far as possible to get maximum protection from software
and/or hardware faults. Multiple VGs increase chances to let other
applications in different VGs continue to work if a PV in one VG
fails. Of course if a system only has one application or if it doesn't
make sense to split up the disks into multiple VGs then create a
single VG only. So maybe having multiple VGs is useful on large
servers only.

Stephan