[linux-lvm] URgent - please Help - our main system is corrupt, no one can wor k!

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Mon Jun 10 08:36:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 10 '02 at 15:16, Gesine Schäfer-Reimers wrote:
> this is the second mail. I tried it this noon but got no answer so far, but
> our whole production is down and I really have to fix it.
did not reache the list (AFAICT)

> The system was up and running. I added (with YAST2) one more logical
> volume to the volume group, applied an restarted. The restart ist
> "strange", since only parts of the systems come up.
Most likely it come up in a "something is broken, bplease try to fix it
manualy" state

> For instance the /var directory claims to be mounted but is empty and
> cannot be mounted, for they are not mounted !! In /procs/ not
The mount command takes it's information from /etc/mtap and not from
/proc, so most likely the console message was something like "unable to
run fsck on /dev/bla" please enter root password and try to fix it,
system will reboot after you left the shell.

> [ ... ]
> It looks for me as if the addition of the new logical volume wrote
> some information in a place where it does not belong. Can I recover
> the old state without loosing information?
possible there are backups in /etc/lvmtab.d, but maybe not.

It would realy help, what the system told you when it booted.

A "simple" fix might be to reboot and pray :-/, but this might fu**up
everything.

Unfortunately I've not enough informations to help you further :-(, and
I don't know how stable yast2 is so I can only guess what you might be
able to do to fix anything, but my guesses might be way off.

Cu,
    Goetz.
Goetz Bock                                             bock at blacknet.de
IT Consulting                                          Munich   Germany