Re: [linux-lvm] FW: LVM

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, at 8:58am, Montgomery Mouw wrote:
> I was just wondering if I mount 5 drives using LVM and say the forth drive
> dies, do I lose the data only on that forth drive or do I lose the data on
> the whole mount (all 5 drives data)?

  In general, you will lose everything.

  Technically: A drive is used to create a PV (Physical Volume).  One or
more PVs is used to create an LV (Logical Volume).  If the drive containing
a PV fails, that PV becomes unavailable.  If an LV needs a PV, and that PV
is unavailable, the LV will become unavailable as well.

--
Ben Scott <bscott ntisys com>