[linux-lvm] vgscan errors

Kelly Corbin kcorbin at theiqgroup.com
Thu Mar 7 11:17:02 UTC 2002

OK, now I have another problem.  I got vgscan to run fine now off of my
boot CD, but now the system fails the vgscan on boot (/ is an LVM) with
an 'ERROR 28 writing volume group backup file /etc/...'

I'm assuming this is because the initrd created by lvmcreate_initrd is
not big enough to accomodate the metadata backup.  What size is this
generally (lvmcreate_initrd says it calculates this automatically) and
to what size should I set this manually to get this to work?  How much
space do I need for the backups during vgscan?

Thanks.

Kelly Corbin wrote:

> Doh! I didn't get what you were saying in your first reply.  I'm sure
> that's it.  It's running in an init. ramdisk image and there's very
> little actual space.  Generally speaking, how big do those backups get?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:20:44PM -0600, Kelly Corbin wrote:
>>
>> It is probably too little free space in the root fs.
>> Because you've got somany extents the size of the metadata backup is
>> bigger
>> as well.
>>
>> Check your root fs free space, please.
>>

>>> Thanks.