[linux-lvm] Do I loose all my data if one disk crashes?

Adrian Head ahead at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 1 17:38:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002 08:26, Dave Newman wrote:
> My question is: Do I loose all my data if any of the three disks
> crashes?  And if so, what can I do to improve the "restore-ability" of
> my configuration.

I have not read the LVM instructions so I'm unsure what config you have ended
up with.

One thing to remember is that LVM does not implement RAID5 only RAID0 and
linear.  Therefore, if a drive dies you will lose data.

To give the system a little extra survivability (yes you
_still_need_backups_) you can have LVM ontop of a Linux software RAID5.  This
will allow one drive to fail but the array will still be accessable.  Of
course with this config you effectively lose one of your drives because of
parity information.

--
Adrian Head

(Public Key available on request.)