[linux-lvm] Some suggestions about lvminitrd_create

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Thu May 16 10:22:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 05:10:58PM +0200, Bas wrote:

> > > Just a couple of suggestions firstly it would be nice if it checked
> > > for /boot/System.map-'uname -r' rather than for just /boot/System.map.
> > > When you have more than one kernel floating about this is handy.
> >
> > Yep, that's what the "-F" option aims to support.
> >

> > > Second suggestion it would be nice if a -t option existed to allow a
> > > choice in the type of filesystem the initrd is created in. Not everyone
> > > is using ext2 these days :)
> >
> > Well, why do you want to use a different filesystem on a relatively tiny
> > and little populated ram disk?
>
> Because once you choose to use XFS, you don't need ext2 utils anymore, so
> why would you want to install ext2utils ?

You really want to use XFS for an initrd??

<fx tests:>

# dd if=/dev/zero of=disk bs=1024 count=8192
# mkfs.xfs disk
# mount -oloop disk /mnt
# df /mnt
/root/disk                3392        32      3360   1% /mnt

OK you could tune that up a bit but I think ext2 is more approriate for an
initrd and the ext2 utils don't take up /that/ much space: probably much less
than your XFS journals in fact :-)

patrick