[linux-lvm] Some suggestions about lvminitrd_create

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 17 00:04:02 UTC 2002

Patrick Caulfield wrote:

>>>Yep, that's what the "-F" option aims to support.

>>>Well, why do you want to use a different filesystem on a relatively tiny
>>>and little populated ram disk?
>>>

>>Because once you choose to use XFS, you don't need ext2 utils anymore, so
>>why would you want to install ext2utils ?
>>

>You really want to use XFS for an initrd??
>
><fx tests:>
>
># dd if=/dev/zero of=disk bs=1024 count=8192
># mkfs.xfs disk
># mount -oloop disk /mnt
># df /mnt
>Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>/root/disk                3392        32      3360   1% /mnt
>
>OK you could tune that up a bit but I think ext2 is more approriate for an
>initrd and the ext2 utils don't take up /that/ much space: probably much less
>than your XFS journals in fact :-)
>
>patrick

Hello,

    I use "romfs" for the 'initrd" it take less place in the kernel than
"ext2" (I use "reiserfs" for "normal" filesystems), the only problem is
that "romfs" is a read only filesytem but you can use the "tmpfs" like
this in your "linuxrc" script:

#!/bin/sh
mount -t tmpfs none /etc
mount -t proc none /proc
echo "Scanning for Volume Group..."
/sbin/vgscan
echo "Activating 'root' Volume Group"
/sbin/vgchange -a y /dev/vgroot
umount /proc
umount /etc

I use the "nash" shell from redhat, it take few place and have builtin
the mount/umount commands.

The LVM is compiled in the kernel and I have these files in my "initrd":

/bin/nash
/bin/sh -> nash
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/lib/libc.so.6