[linux-lvm] Volume group not found on restart [resent]

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Wed May 22 13:25:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:58:22PM -0400, Murthy Kambhampaty wrote:
> Heinz, the "gone one" has been gone for a long while. It was a single SCSI
> disk (/dev/sda) which I added to the VG to use for snapshotting db_dir (for
> backup) and would immediately lvremove (see the SnapBach.sh script below;
> not too sophisticated, just faithfully replicates the necessary keytrokes).

As my tiny little helper scripts typically look as well ;-)

> However, the snapshot strategy did not work out for me (it was for backing
> up my production databases; I decided to get MySQL to hotcopy the databases,
> and then do a [xfs]dump of the filesystem containing the hotcopy). So, I did
> a vgreduce /dev/sda, but pvscan kept telling me it was still in VG "db_vol",

Well, that shouldn't have happened in case "vgreduce db_vol /dev/sda" went ok
back then.
Do you have any memory of failure messages for that one?

> so I did an lvmchange -R to see if I could "reset" the information, but that
> didn't work, so I rebooted and then pvscan only gave /dev/rd/c0d0p6 in
> "db_vol". NOTE: I was/am still learning to deal with LVM; I think I figured
> out that all I needed to do was a vgscan, which is what the reboot did; too
> much exposure to MS Windows, I guess ;(.
>
> So, the preferred course here is to "to change the metadata in order to get
> rid of the gone physical volume", and all will be well.

So there's cons vs. (temporarly) trying 1.1-rc to quorum activate db_vol
in order to retrieve the data?

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

> Thanks for your continuing assistance. Its really great that you got on top
> of this issue so quickly.
>
> I look forward to your advice on the steps necessary for changing the
> metadata,
> 	Murthy
>

> Begin script SnapBack.sh:
> #!/bin/bash
> # FN: SnapBack.sh
> # AB: Archives /home/db to a daily backup file on compa5
> # DT: 20020321
> # AU: Murthy Kambhampaty
>
> SnapDir=/dev/db_vol/db_dir
> SnapLVName=snap_db
> SnapLVPath=/dev/db_vol/snap_db
> SnapMount=/mnt/dbsnap
>
> /sbin/lvcreate -s -l 4999 -n $SnapLVName $SnapDir ; \
>         mount -v -t xfs -o ro,nouuid,norecovery $SnapLVPath $SnapMount  ; \
>         cd $SnapMount ; \
>         /opt/schily/bin/star -czl \
>                 f=/mnt/dbback/$(date +%A)_snap.tar . ; \
>         cd / ; \
>         umount -v $SnapMount ; \
>         /sbin/lvremove -f $SnapLVPath
> End SnapBack.sh script.

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446