[linux-lvm] getting started with LVM

I am currently doing some research for my employer regarding storage and backups. We currently use dump as a backup utility due to limited budget. However, dump has been giving us fits due to lseek errors.

Someone suggested looking into LVM, so here I am. I looked a the website and did a little digging, but I was unable to find out if LVM will serve my purposes.

If anyone can lend a hand and provide feedback that can tell me if LVM is worth my effort to solve this problem, or where I can find this sort of information, I'd be vert greatful.

Thanks in advance...