Re: [linux-lvm] getting started with LVM

-- Ben Snyder <ben jumpline com> on 05/23/02 16:43:24 -0400

> I am currently doing some research for my employer regarding storage and
> backups.  We currently use dump as a backup utility due to limited budget.
> However, dump has been giving us fits due to lseek errors.
>
> Someone suggested looking into LVM, so here I am.  I looked a the website and
> did a little digging, but I was unable to find out if LVM will serve my
> purposes.
>
> If anyone can lend a hand and provide feedback that can tell me if LVM is
> worth my effort to solve this problem, or where I can find this sort of
> information, I'd be vert greatful.

Dumping dump might be the first thing that would help. It's
old and tired and deserves a rest... For free utilities you
can get better speed and filtering with cpio, which backs
up from the file system rather than inodes. At that point
LVM is a nice solution for managing anything large enough to
be backed up.

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647