[linux-lvm] getting started with LVM

William Blunn bill+f.20020524 at tao-group.com
Fri May 24 04:02:02 UTC 2002

> Something I probably should have mentioned....due to some software we
> use to serve our customers, we have hard links - TONS of them.  We
> looked at cpio, but cpio does not restore hardlinks correctly, dump
> will.  We also looked at tar, 'star', dd, just about anything to take
> the data from one device/filesystem to another.

To copy data from one filesystem another, preserving hard links, I use:

  rsync  -avxSHW  /source-dir/  /target-dir

  -a   same meaning as for "cp" i.e. recurse and copy metadata
  -v   be verbose
  -x   do not cross filesystem boundaries
  -S   handle sparse files
  -H   handle hard links
  -W   only copy whole files

  Trailing slash on source-dir makes it copy *contents* of directory
  rather than directory itself.

It only copies changed changed files.

Be sure to use version 2.5.2 or higher of rsync.

Bill
--
William H. Blunn - <bill+s.mq8r0gra at tao-group.com> - Developer Support
Tao