[linux-lvm] Changing Controller and also device names

Per Kristiansen per at gathering.org
Wed Nov 6 07:27:01 UTC 2002

Got a fun problem here.

I have a IDE controller that I have hooked up 7 disks to.

Now I've found that the controller is acting VERY strange, and want to exchange it with
another one.

Today I have:

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdk1 (5)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3680 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdl1 (7)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    2980 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdi1 (1)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3680 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdj1 (2)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3680 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdg1 (4)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3576 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hde1 (6)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3576 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdf1 (3)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    3576 / 0

Do I need to take SPECIAL care to get the same device names  when I move the disks to the new controller
or can it find the data it needs using vgscan/pvscan ?

and no...
no raid or anything..it's not really a critical server as everything is backed up everyday.

--
Per Kristiansen
per at gathering.org