[linux-lvm] LV Larger than DIsk?

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Mon Nov 18 15:32:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:48:51AM -0600, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> After compiling lvm2 tools, vgscan runs fine, but then vgchange -ay only
> activates 2 of the 5 lv's. I get an error that the LV is too large for
> the allocated PE.

So I can investigate this, please quote the *specific* output you are
seeing when you get the error.  Also the version numbers e.g. type:
  lvm version
Please maybe also retry with Beta4 released today and see whether or
not the problem is still there.

> I've got 2 PVs, one with 3 partitions, then the rest part of the
> /dev/Data volume, and another disk I just added that I simply did
> lvextend to one of the LV's I wanted to increase the size of.

Please also send a copy of the relevant metadata backup/archive files
under /etc/lvm - one from the backup directory (or by running
vgcfgbackup) showing the current metadata, and one from the archive
directory showing the metadata before you made any changes to it.

[You can send these to me directly or post a URL, if you prefer not
to send them to everyone on the list.]

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com