[linux-lvm] Accessing LVM partitions from a rescue system

Pantaleimon pantaleimon at home.no
Mon Nov 25 10:22:02 UTC 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 15:17, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
> Yeah, pretty strange...
>
> Forgot to ask: you run the _very_ same (LVM) versions on the rescue media
> too ?
>
> Regards,
> Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

Yes, I berlieve I run the same versions on both occasions. I have only one
file called lvm-mod.o on my system and that's the one I copied to use with
the rescue system. I couldn't figure out how to get the version no. from the
module file, though, just to make sure it's really the same. Tried "insmod
--verbose" but it didn't give any version no.

On the other hand, your question made me check the kernelversion etc. for the
rescue system, and it turns out the rescue disk is based on SuSE 5.3 (while I
use 7.3)  and uses libc5 according to the documentation. That sounds like
something to do with libraries (even to those not yet initiated, like me,
into the inner secrets of Linux :-) ). When I have mounted my normal root
drive on /mnt in the rescue system I link /mnt/lib/* from /lib to be able to
run the lvm programs. But that only adds the libraries from /mnt/lib. It
doesn't replace those already there with identical names, if any. Do you
think the reason could be a mix up of libraries from different versions? Just
a theory.