[linux-lvm] LVM for a Database

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Tue Nov 26 16:33:01 UTC 2002

What type of database?

Joseph Kezar wrote:

> We are in the process of building a database on a 4 processor 1.8GHz,
> 4GB RAM Dell 6650.
>
> I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to use LVM for our
> raw data storage.  We have a RAID array with 8x36GB drives in
> it.  Should I do a raid 1+0(mirror 4 disks, and span them to get one
> logical volume)?

 I've never worked with an Oracle DBA that would favor this.  "Spindles,
spindles, spindles" they cry.  Now, I realize that you're going to have
8 spindles no matter what.

> If so this leaves me a /dev/sdb.  Or would I get better performance if
> I mirror 1 + 5, 2 + 6, 3 + 7, 4+ 8 to give me /dev/sd[b-e].

If you have to do RAID for everything, then this would probably be most
favored (easiest to optimize), but I know several DBAs that would prefer
to use 8 independent disks, along with a good backup plan and "Oracle
journal logs" for recovery.  Of course, I'd probably do the RAID thing
because I'm not a DBA :)

David Corbin