Re: [linux-lvm] Upgrade Linux 2.2 to 2.4 problems

Heinz,

this can't be the exact LVM 0.9-Beta7 error message.

It sure is (except error is written ERROR and the message is on 2 lines :-) )

Is /proc really mounted, *before* vgchange runs in /linuxrc?

Hmm - I'm not sure how I can tell. The mount command certainly comes first
and there are no visible error messages. I'm just using lvmcreate_initrd. If the
mount command fails then it gives an error message and vgchange gives me
different error messages so I assume it's working.

BTW: why do you use such an old kernel and LVM version?
    Please give a recent one and LVM 1.0.5 a try.

That's what I was trying to do (for a while) until I discovered this kernel only has beta7 in it.

Curiously I had more success with 1.0.5 tools on this kernel.

I think I'll take your advice and start again.

Many thanks for your support.

Dick

vgscan appears to work ok but vgchange fails with:

Error- can't get names of physical volumes - please check if /proc is mounted.

Well, /proc is mounted - in fact if it isn't mounted I don't this error.

What does this error message mean and what's likely to be wrong to cause it?