[linux-lvm] lvm with gpt partitioning?

Josh Duncan linux-lvm at msmd.net
Mon Oct 14 15:07:51 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I hope this isn't a redundant question, I've tried looking through the mailing
lists with no luck:

I'm having a problem setting up physical volumes on an ia64 machine running a
2.4.18+lvm1.0.5 kernel.

the disk is labelled using an "EFI GPT" disk label/partitioning arrangement.  I
currently have two partitions defined, the first is 2gb and the second is 16gb.
I can do a pvcreate on the second, but not on the first.  I've attached output
from parted, fdisk, and pvcreate below...

any ideas?
--Josh

------
fdisk:
------
[root at one sbin]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4427 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             1      4428  35566479+  ee  EFI GPT

-------
parted:
-------
[root at one sbin]# parted /dev/sdb print
Disk geometry for /dev/sdb: 0.000-34732.890 megabytes
Disk label type: GPT
Minor    Start       End     Filesystem  Name                  Flags
1          0.017   2047.000                                    lba
2       2047.000  18733.000                                    lba

---------
pvcreate:
---------
[root at one sbin]# pvcreate /dev/sdb1
pvcreate -- invalid partition type 0xee for "/dev/sdb1" (must be 0x8e)