[linux-lvm] Re: vgimport says "ERROR: wrong number of physical volumes"

Tony Likhite tony at likhite.net
Thu Oct 17 10:16:02 UTC 2002

Ok, after initial spasm of confused panic, here's some possibly relevant
data:

Kernel 2.4.19-rc3-ac4 (devfs mounted)

LVM tools 1.04 (latest Debian package, pvscan --version says:
pvscan: Logical Volume Manager 1.0.4
Heinz Mauelshagen, Sistina Software  02/05/2002 (IOP 10))

output from 'vgimport -fv rootvg /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2':

vgimport -- locking logical volume manager
vgimport -- checking volume group name
vgimport -- checking volume group "rootvg" existence
vgimport -- trying to read physical volume
vgimport -- checking for duplicate physical volumes
vgimport -- checking physical volume name
"/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2"
vgimport -- reading data of physical volume
"/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2" from disk
vgimport -- checking for exported physical volume
"/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2"
vgimport -- reallocating memory
vgimport -- checking consistency of physical volume
"/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2"
vgimport -- ERROR: wrong number of physical volumes to import volume group
"rootvg"

output from 'pvdata /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2':

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part2
VG Name               rootvgPV_EXP
PV Size               110.79 GB [232344000 secs] / NOT usable 4.25 MB [LVM:
238
KB]
PV#                   2
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes
Cur LV                6
PE Size (KByte)       4096
Total PE              28361
Free PE               17865
Allocated PE          10496
PV UUID               z9FKhX-y87k-j6Oj-STF1-C7KR-3HcY-3VFDcI

--- Volume group ---
VG Name
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             NOT available/exported/resizable
VG #                  1
MAX LV                255
Cur LV                6
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           255.99 GB
Max PV                255
Cur PV                1
Act PV                1
VG Size               110.79 GB
PE Size               4 MB
Total PE              28361
Alloc PE / Size       10496 / 41 GB
Free  PE / Size       17865 / 69.79 GB
VG UUID               gvQKre-flUe-MkcE-OJvo-ijKM-AWjc-IZo6R9

--- List of logical volumes ---

pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/root" at offset   0
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/usr-local" at offset   1
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/swap" at offset   2
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/home" at offset   3
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/oracle" at offset   4
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/archive" at offset   5
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   6 is empty
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   7 is empty
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   8 is empty
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   9 is empty
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset  10 is empty
..etc...
--- List of physical volume UUIDs ---

001: z9FKhX-y87k-j6Oj-STF1-C7KR-3HcY-3VFDcI

On Thursday 17 October 2002 10:53, Tony Likhite whined: