[linux-lvm] system crash caused by lvm's fault?

hi!

i have 1 VG with 5-6 LV.
when one of my disks dont get enough power and 'fell out', then my ftp
processes get to state 'detach', and even kill -9 cant kill them..
load is starting to get higher, and higher, and then VM says not enought
memory.. and kernel crashes.
it is on p4, with 512MB ram, with 906G VG..

can i avoid this crash?
i mean, when one disk fell off, then how can i kill this processes, and
unmount the lvs? any idea?

NagyZ