[linux-lvm] How to upgrade old LVM version.

Hi,

I'm currently running LVM 0.9.1_beta6 on Debian 2.2 with kernel 2.2.19 and have been trying
for some time to upgrade to something more recent.

Whenever I try this I find that vgscan from any newer version of LVM hangs (without
error messages) - I'm forced to reboot. The only evidence I can find is if I run pvscan. This reports "different structure size".

I currently have all my filesystem including root running on LVM on top of software RAID so
it's a fairly delicate business mucking about with this. I'm looking for a way to fix the problem
other than decanting everything to tape and starting from scratch again.

I do have a separate bootable disc with 2.4 kernel and LVM 1.0 which I can use as a stepping
stone but so far this too hangs as soon as vgscan is run.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dick