[linux-lvm] raid1+lvm without initrd

William Blunn bill+f.9sfuw6uo at tao-group.com
Mon Sep 23 04:49:02 UTC 2002

> A few of the regulars on this list seem to have a setup like this working.
>
> I have 2 disks mirrored with linux software raid-1. on top of this I have
> created 3 lv's: root, var, and swap. So far I have not been able to figure
> out the boot=,root= parameters that'll coax lilo into booting this.
>
> A few of the regulars on this list seem to have something like this
> working. Would someone post a working lilo configuration for a raid1+lvm
> noninitrd setup?
>
> references to setups like this working:
> http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/linux-lvm/2002-September/012245.html
> http://lists.sistina.com/pipermail/lvm-devel/2001-October/000686.html

People often ask me questions to which my answer begins "One or more of
the premises on which your question is based is false, therefore your
question does not make any sense. Peeling back a layer and looking at
what you are really trying to achieve, you might find that your best
solution would be this: ... ".

Don't put your root filesystem in an LVM.

The small benefit of having it resizable is far outweighed by the setup
cost and the maintenance difficulties you will get when things go wrong.

Anything which is big and which might cause you to want to have a bigger
root filesystem shouldn't be in there, and should be in one of your
other filesystems instead.

If you don't have a suitable filesystem for the new big thing, you can
just create one --- you have an LVM!

Bill
--
William H. Blunn - <bill+s.9sfuw6uo at tao-group.com> - Developer Support