[linux-lvm] drive-spindown

Michael Frotscher michael at frotscher.net
Wed Sep 25 03:18:44 UTC 2002

Hello, all

I'd like to have the drives of my LVM-system (SuSE 8.0) to spin down
when the volume is not used (it's a data-volume only, the system
resides somewhere else). The volume consists of one partition of hda
and drives hdb and hdc are completely dedicated to it.

I tried to set a spindown-time in BIOS as well as hdparm -S, but
strangely only hdc powers down (checked that with hdparm -C). I don't
really expect hda to power down as the system resides on it, but hdb
obviously should. Does anyone have an idea why it doesn't?
--
cheers,

Michael