[linux-lvm] Swap on LVM - swapoff problem

George Karaolides george.karaolides at planitis.net
Mon Apr 7 09:10:03 UTC 2003

Hi Patrick,

> Actually, I'm more interested in the kernel LVM version. The tools
> have no impact on how swappping works. Sorry I should have said. The
> first line of /proc/lvm/global should tell you that.

2.4.18 machines:

# cat /proc/lvm/global
LVM module LVM version 1.0.1-rc4(ish)(03/10/2001)

2.4.20 machines:

# cat /proc/lvm/global
LVM module LVM version 1.0.5+(22/07/2002)

> You should check that that when you do swapoff that the
> device actually exists: and that the major/minor matches that of the
> device when it was swapped on. I think /proc/swaps should tell you
> this.

I can't see anything about device major/minor nos. in /proc/swaps:

# cat /proc/swaps
Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/vg1/swap                   partition       1048568 0       -1

Of course I can see the major/minor nos. if I list the device:

# ls -l /dev/vg1/swap
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,   1 Apr  5 22:28 /dev/vg1/swap

So now I need to check if these are the same as when the device was
swapped on.  But no info in /proc/swaps...

--
Best regards,