[linux-lvm] Re: Swap on LVM - swapoff problem - SOLVED

George Karaolides george.karaolides at planitis.net
Wed Apr 9 01:46:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've solved the problem with swapoff and LVM swap devices on Debian
woody; and the solution may well apply to installations with the root fs
on LVM using other distributions as well.

The root filesystem on my machines is in a logical volume device, and to
mount this at boot time I needed to create an initrd with
lvmcreate_initrd.  This starts LVM before the root fs is mounted.  The
init scripts installed by the Debian LVM package then start LVM again,
which seems to cause the problem.

Removing the symlink /etc/rcS.d/S25lvm and rebooting seems to have
solved it:

# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
Swap:       786424          0     786424
# swapoff /dev/vg1/swap
# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
Swap:            0          0          0
# swapon /dev/vg1/swap
# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
Swap:       786424          0     786424

Best regards,