[linux-lvm] snapshot performance question

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Wed Apr 9 17:22:01 UTC 2003

I currently have a 2 disk raid1 implemented via 3ware hardware raid.

The 3ware card makes the ide drives appear to be SCSI drives to the kernel, so SCSI disconnect logic/etc. is supported.

Currently I use unused space on the raid 1 array to hold my snapshot lv.

I also have a standalone ide 80 GB drive in the system with lots of unused space (~40GBs).

There are 2 contradictory performance statements that can be made:

1) raid 1 w/3ware should be much faster than a JBOD ide.

2) snapshots hosted on a separate physical media are faster.

Is this a clear cut case of moving my snapshot lv to the ide drive would be faster, or do I need to do performance testing to be sure?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer