[linux-lvm] Help - how do I recover a lost Volume Group

Chandler, Alan Alan.Chandler at logicacmg.com
Tue Apr 15 03:29:02 UTC 2003

I am not subscribed to this list - please CC me back again and to the copy
address (home and work).

I am in a mess, probably of my own making.  I would like to get out of it.
In what I describe below, I will use /dev/hda etc although I have devfs
installed and really mean the full path to the devices.

My main disk /dev/hda has a non-lvm root partition (/dev/hda2) and one lvm
partition (/dev/hda3)  [/dev/hda1 is a partition with another OS on it :-( ]

It was starting to fail so I have purchased another disk and temporarily
wired it in as /dev/hdb.  I created three partitions on in with /dev/hdb3 as
the lvm partition.  I successfully copied the first two partitions but with
the third, in order to preserve my volume group name (vg1), I did pvcreate
/dev/hdb3, vgextend vg1 /dev/hdb3 and pvmove /dev/hda3 so that all the data
should now be on /dev/hdb3.

I then shut down the machine, removed /dev/hda and moved what was /dev/hdb
so it is now /dev/hda.  I booted up with my rescue CD and managed to run
lilo so /dev/hda2 now boots up as the correct rootfs.

Unfortunately when I run vgscan I am getting an error message something like
(I don't have the exact message - I am copying the from this lists archives)

vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of
volume group "vg1" from physical volume(s)

I guess, I have left something behind on the old disk.

Is there a way out of this so I don't loose the data?   I can wire up the
old disk again if necessary but I am not sure what I did wrong the first
time so I might be just wasting my time.  So any help as to what to do would
be very welcome.

Thanks

--
Alan Chandler
Alan.Chandler at LogicaCMG.com

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.