Re: [linux-lvm] pvcreate problem on new IDE disk

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 12:07:15AM +0100, Alasdair G Kergon spake thusly:

brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  66 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdd2

>   Run 'vgscan' and then try the pvcreate again.
> [vgscan needs running after new devices are added]

home:/# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "system" using metadata type lvm1
home:/# pvcreate /dev/hdd2
  Failed to read existing physical volume '/dev/hdd2'
  Physical volume "/dev/hdd2" successfully created

It still says "failed to read" etc. but then says successfully created.
Hmm...

home:/# vgextend system /dev/hdd2
  Volume group "system" successfully extended

Ok, looks like it is working ok. Now another problem...

home:/# pvmove
  Command not implemented yet.

Ugh...looks like LVM1 had it but LVM2 does not yet. Has this changed since
my version?

  LVM version:     1.95.10 (2002-05-31)

Even if pvmove is still nonexistant I guess I can put the new disk in another
VG, create LV's over there, and manually copy the data over.

Thanks for the help!

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org