[linux-lvm] pvmove hangs

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Sat Aug 16 13:57:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 12:20:06PM +0200, Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> On my computer, pvmove just hangs at 0.2% done.

  If pvmove fails, you can use 'pvmove --abort' to abandon it
  or 'pvmove' on its own [or with same source pv as before] to
  retry.  xxchange -ay may also attempt to restart pvmoves in
  progress (leaving a pvmove daemon running).

> But then I booted to singe user mode and didn't mount any partitions on
> lvm, and still, pvmove was hanging at 0.2%.

Need more precise description of what you mean by 'hanging'.

And the usual diagnostics:  debug log file from the command that should
have set the pvmove running, any kernel error messages, lvm.conf, a copy
of the current VG's metadata [e.g. with vgcfgbackup -f] etc.
If pvmove process itself freezes, then a long/wide 'ps' output for that
process, kcopyd & kmirrord (incl cols: NI, VSZ, RSS, STAT
and symbolic WCHAN).

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com