[linux-lvm] Recovering from disk failure

Recently one of two disks in a volume group crashed, and I can't read
it at all.  Now, some LVs are entirely on the disk that survived.  Is
there any way I can just disable the broken LVs and continue using the
complete ones?  I'm using device-mapper and LVM2, but I used to use
LVM1, and have not converted the disks to the new format.  I have both
LVM1 and LVM2 tools available, as well as a bunch of different
kernels.  Dirty hacks are OK, too.

Now I'm considering building a RAID5 array and run LVM on top of
that.  Is there something fundamentally bad with such a setup?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru users sf net