[linux-lvm] Re: Recovering from disk failure

Måns Rullgård mru at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 28 13:53:02 UTC 2003

Alasdair G Kergon <agk at uk.sistina.com> writes:

>> Recently one of two disks in a volume group crashed, and I can't read
>> it at all.  Now, some LVs are entirely on the disk that survived.  Is
>> there any way I can just disable the broken LVs and continue using the
>> complete ones?  I'm using device-mapper and LVM2
>
> Read the description of '--partial' on the lvm(8) man page.
> e.g. (lv|vg)change -ay --partial

I should have read the manuals before mailing.  However, I still have
some questions.  Some LVs were split between the two disks.  With the
--partial option, it won't let me see them at all.  Can I do something
to get just read errors, or zeros, or whatever for the missing
sectors?  I could of course do some manual work with dd, but an
automated method seems easier.

> And '--removemissing' in vgreduce(8) to *permanently* destroy
> the lost LVs (run with --test first to check what it will do).

I don't want to do that until I've salvaged all the information I can
get back.  I have plenty of scratch space on other disks.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at users.sf.net