[linux-lvm] wiping an old LVM

Geoff Dolman geoff.dolman at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 03:32:02 UTC 2003

I have no idea if this is the way to do this officially but this worked
for me.

I had three partitions slash, usr and var on lvm vgs made on three
software raid devices.

I wanted to remove lvm 1 so I could try the 2.6 kernel - I guess I could
have upgraded lvm but that seemed like more effort.

What I did was:

backup each partition. Then for each partition, make a new partition on
a spare disk, mke2fs it, copy the data into it and change fstab to pick
up the new location.

Reboot. The old vg is still picked up by vgscan and I could not get rid
of them with lvremove/vgremove because it moaned that they were in use.
However, then for each one in turn I did mke2fs on the filing system and
then deleted /etc/lvmtab and rebooted. When the machine came up if then
lost that pv,vg,lv.

Although I didn't try this, one thing I thought of was that you could
delete /etc/lvmtab and edit the linuxrc script in /boot/initrd.img so
that it didn't run vgchange -ay and so on on boot. You would then be
able to get rid of stuff at your leisure without lvremove complaining
stuff was in use.